WARNING after batteries spark fire

Stratford District residents are being reminded to dispose of batteries properly after a fire occurred in a recycling collection vehicle.  The crew were unhurt and the vehicle was not damaged.  Although the definite cause is not known, it is believed that batteries were put in an Ariel Capsule tub.

Cllr Ian Shenton said: “I would like to take this opportunity to remind District residents of the importance of disposing of waste properly.
It is important to remember that batteries and small electrical or battery-operated appliances must not be put into any of the household wheelie bins.  In addition to fire hazards which can be caused by putting old batteries in the wrong bins, the resources and chemicals found in them such as lead, cadmium, zinc, lithium and mercury can cause harm to the environment.”